About Me

I have something to say... But a blog let's me spew until I figure out what it is.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Philanthropy

So Josh and I were catching up on some of the shows we watch last night and played "Secret Millionaire". Now, for the record, we watched this show when it was on Fox and enjoyed it quite a bit - then it disapeared only to be resurected on ABC.

First and foremost, ABC, you need to change the over-guy. His voiceovers are HORRIBLE.

Since my brother's death, I have view non-profits in a very different way. I am working hard to participate in the Out of the Darkness walk in NYC to support the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. The goal is to raise a thousand dollars and donate it to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention - and show solidarity by walking 13miles in the middle of the night through New York City in the middle of June.

Now, I am not the type of person that gives very much of herself. I give to my family and friends that are close to me, but I have never been one for non-profit organizations despite my having worked for one for the last 3 years running.

What amazes me more and more is when I see organizations like the ones on Secret Millionaire where these people come up with this idea - meant to help mankind - and then go do it. Two 80 year olds started a kitchen when they were in their late fifties. A woman created a non-profit to decorate the rooms of children who are suffering life-threatening illnesses. Another organization created itself to teach music to children from low-income families - some of whom have gone on to recieve full scholarships to excellent music programs.

For some reason (and I couldn't tell you why), I had it in my head that the only type of nonprofits out there were ones that didn't speak to me - ones that I couldn't relate to or that didn't speak to my heart.

And I couldn't tell you when it changed - but it has - drastically. There is nothing more that I would rather do than raise money for suicide awareness and prevention (right now)... and in the future, I can see myself getting attached to organizations which help teenagers (or perhaps a group that helps depressed teenagers...)

What are some issues that break your heart? What out there speaks to you? Why have you not taken the time to volunteer? Or throw $10.00 their way. It may not be a lot to you, but it is helpful for a non-profit.

Push-shove, if there is an issue which makes you think "wow - I wish there was a group out there who did x", chances are there is. We are the "adults" now (yes, that's right, I put that in quotation marks") ... its time for us all to start thinking about whether we are good about the level of contribution that we have made to the people we share our lives with and the people around us, don't you think?

I know I do. I may not be able to bring Big Guy back and I may not be able to go back and do it over again to get it "right" this time... but I can do SOMETHING to help an organization whose mission it is to reduce the number of families who have endured the kind of turmoil and tragedy my family has had to face. As far as I am concerned - if they can prevent ONE death they are winning. (And no - that's not a Charlie Sheen quote;))

So, people, keep a look out for my upcoming Facebook blasts about my fundraising efforts - and try not to roll your eyes too much when you see me asking for your support for the 50th time. This is something I feel very strongly about and, more than the money, it's something I REALLY WANT TO DO. I want to be able to say that I walked through the streets of Manhatten in the middle of the night with thousands of others whose lives have been affected by suicide - and I will take that time to reflect on the amazing person that my brother was and how much I miss him and how much he has made me the person that I am today.

I hope, for each of you, that you find in your lifetime, a cause which gets you as geared up as this one does for me. It's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how our perspective can change when we become "enlightened" no matter what the way that is. It's good to have a cause. I always suggest picking one and investing in it. I'm working on a program for teenagers myself, maybe we can do a collaboration :o)

    ReplyDelete