About Me

I have something to say... But a blog let's me spew until I figure out what it is.

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Amazing Adventure of a Traveling Toddler

It was the night before our departure and my chest was tight with anxiety. My palms were sweating, I couldn't focus, and I was filled with dread. How, in God's name, was Olivia going to handle a 9 day trip to Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania? What about her schedule? What about her naps? What about her whiny-ness?

Well, after nine days, 3 flights (6 hours), a three-hour layover, three states and 12 hours in the car I can tell you that we survived with flying colors. In fact - as stressful as it was (and don't get me wrong there were definately moments), I actually had fun.

So here is what I learned about travelling with a toddler:

1) Buy THIS THING. It may seem a little steep in price, but believe me when I tell you that this thing paid for itself in about 10 minutes. Olivia LOVED it. It also acted as a great toy for her when we were waiting for our flight because she got to push it all over the airport (she would put her pig in it and give him a ride). The best part of about this is I could keep Olivia strapped in, pick it up and carry her on the plane while sitting in the seat - then just buckle her in (with the wheels still on!) and off we go. When we landed, unbuckle the seatbelt, pick her up, get her off the plane, and we we are OFF AND RUNNING. It was truly AWESOME.

Just be prepared to get some looks - both from those who think "wow - that's so simple!" and those who think that you are carting your kid around like a piece of luggage. I have news for you, people - I AM carting her around like a piece of luggage - and she loves it. And I'm happy. And we are having a great time together.

2) Be over prepared. You really can't have enough snacks - for both of you.

3) Invest in a backpack. This was the best thing I could have done OTHER than the Go Go Babyz scooter thing. I put our snacks, a few toys, diapers and wipes, our travel documents and my purse all in the backback and didn't have to constantly worry that I left something behind. Plus, both my hands were free which is pretty invaluable. It wasn't heavy, either. Definately worth the money I spent and I think I will probably use it for everything now.

4) Take the time to enjoy the adventure. I didn't even know that Olivia knew how to say "choo choo train" until she saw the monorail at Tampa Airport. We laughed. We treated ourselves to McDonalds (she LOVES the apples). We learned how to say "plane".

5) Admit to yourself that a vacation is a vacation for the both of you. You can still be the sensible parent you have always been but it will be a lot easier on both of you if you "let up" a little bit. For instance - I am NOT a fan of Olivia watching hours of television - but when I have her buckled into a seat for 3+ hours and then visiting people who may or may not have many toys for her to engage with - I just want her to be happy. Enter - the iPad. Thank you Steve Jobs for keeping my flight and subsequent car rides with my kid more than bearable - they were actually enjoyable. A big shout-out to the creators of the Bubble Guppies as well - the show is killer.

So Olivia watched a lot of tv. She ate a lot more than she normally does. She got off schedule and, on some nights, didn't go to bed until 930. She was also a DREAM to be around. It doesn't mean that I stopped parenting - she heard "no" plenty of times. Climbing on the furniture isn't allowed at home and its not allowed at Grandpa's either, but - well - it's Grandpa's. It's supposed to be about indulgences and staying up late.

So that brings me to number 6...

6) ENJOY YOUR VACATION. If you stay flexible and continue to pay close attention to your kid's mood, you will have a truly amazing time. If Olivia started whining and being destructive, I knew immediately that it was naptime.

The best thing I did on this trip was break my own rules. Olivia, for instance, normally sleeps in her crib all night. On this trip, we shared a room.. so in the wee hours of the morning while she was still very much asleep, I picked her up and put her in bed with me. There was nothing more AMAZING than waking up, first thing in the morning, to my little girl whispering "Hi mommy" very very softly in my face.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment